Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Lidge Deal

Lidge looks on as career sails by

Closer Brad Lidge was traded from the 'Stros (I'm a youth-see my use of the apostrophe!) to the Phillies today, along with infielder Eric Bruntlett. In return, Houston got outfielder Michael Bourn, right-hander Geoff Geary and minor leaguer Mike Costanzo. Personally, I feel this was an even deal, only if Lidge doesn't return to his All-Star form.

For the Phils: First, they can stop being a bunch of drunks and take Brett Myers out of the closer role. I always, always hated the idea of your best starter being your closer (aren't 30+ starts, 200+ innings more important than 80 GA, if that?) and this saves Charlie Manuel from himself. They lose Geary (Who had a great 2006) and a young infield prospect in Costanzo, who the club admitted was slow learning the game (He's only 24, guys) and horrible on defense (Yankee fans see Duncan, Eric). Bruntlett I'm guessing is a stop-gap bench guy.

For the Astros: They gave up on Lidge, 30, because ever since the WS he's been awful, losing his closing job to Dan Wheeler before getting it back in June this season. In return, they get three quality players, but here's the reality: None of them really give you equal value. I like them all, but what happens if he returns to All-Star form? Then you traded an All-Star closer for a good relief pitcher and a speedy outfielder in Bourn. The truth is that I'm most likely wrong, and that in fact the Astros may have waited too long to trade him, so they couldn't get what he WAS worth.

Conclusion: Eh. I like the Phils on this, by a slim margin. Of course, if Costanzo pulls through, then the Astros get the edge. He's still young enough where he can pull it together, and-not to sound like I have a man crush-but Geary is a good bullpen option. Yet, I still can't give up on Lidge, even though me and Gillick seem to be the one ones left.

No comments: